[mythtv-users] Unable to watch TV, display issue

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu May 29 00:40:01 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 28 May 2003 10:52 pm, Joshua Santelli wrote:

> I've looked but was unable to figure out how to change
> the channel setting.  If anyone know a good doc to
> look at for setting up this TV card, let me know.
> I've see a lot of conflicting things.

There is no GUI for fine-tuning channels.  You can either tweak channel
frequencies in the database, or you can use mythfilldatabase to import
channel settings from an Xawtv settings file.

> I tried a few other settings for the tuner and bttv
> modules.  Here is what I have in the modules.conf
> right now:
>
> alias char-major-81 bttv
> options tuner type=2 debug=0
> options bttv card=0 autoload=0 radio=0 pll=0
> post-install bttv modprobe tuner; modprobe videodev

Get rid of the "card=0"... it's detecting your card correctly, and you're
forcing it to "UNKNOWN".  It's the *tuner* that was not being correctly
detected (your previous message indicated it detected a PAL tuner, whereas
you indicated you're in NTSC-land).  Looking through the list archives,
others have reported that "tuner type=17" works.

> The picture still looks out of sync.  It looks like I
> have the vert and horz sync rate wrong.  I'm not sure
> why the MythTV GUI looks fine but the TV does not.  I
> tried it connected to a monitor but had the same
> results.  Here are the additions to dmesg after I
> startx and start watching tv:

The GUI looks fine because the problem is not with your TV-out; it's with your
TV-in (i.e., the tuner).  What you're seeing is incorrect tuning of TV
channels.  If the "tuner type=17" doesn't fix your problem, you may want to
re-run the backend setup program ('setup/setup' in the mythtv source
directory) and check the channel frequency table under 'General' settings.
It should probably be set to something like 'us-cable', 'us-bcast' or
'us-cable-hrc'.  Try those and see if your situation improves.

Again, Xawtv is a good application to use to make sure you're tuning the
channels properly.  If you need to fine-tune individual channels, you can do
it easily with Xawtv and then import the settings into Myth via
mythfilldatabase.  You can also use Xawtv to figure out which channel
frequency table to use.

-JAC