[mythtv-users] IR Transmitter help with RC, receiving some errors

Chris Germano netslayer at hotmail.com
Mon May 26 23:33:57 EDT 2003

Thx for the reply, I just tried it, without any luck. I actually just
plugged my home brewed receiver and transmitter (on same serial) into my
windows box, installed winlirc and in 10 seconds it was learning remote
commands and firing them out perfectly. Don't know why linux has to be so
complicated.

Anyhow I still receive the "hardware does not support this setting" whenever
I try a rc command. I think I might know where my problem lies, its either
in my /etc/sysconfig/lircd file which has all the com settings, and the lack
of me actually having a lirc_serial.o file in my
/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/misc/ folder. If I copy it from the
lirc/drivers/lirc_serial folder and restart lirc, nothing will work. So
something is ammis here. Can someone please post their entire
/etc/sysconfig/lircd file here. If possible can you also attach that
lirc_serial.o file, it should be found in /lib/modules/yourkernel#/misc/ thx

Basically to setup lirc, this is what I did:
Used urpmi lirc to set it up in mandrake,
Compiled it from /lirc-0.6.6 make make install w/ Com1 IRQ 4 & Transmitter
setting from ./setup.sh,
Edited my /etc/sysconfig/lircd with just the following "DRIVER=default,
HWMOD=lirc_serial, DEVICE=/dev/lirc/serial, COM_PORT=/dev/ttyS0,
and ran setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none

After that, i started lirc with /etc/init.d/lircd start, and it worked fine
for receiving (except now mode2 keeps saying my hardware is not suitable or
something).

Strangely I receive this: (ls -l /dev/li*)
total 0
crw------- 1 root root 61,    0 jan 1 1970 serial

So if anyone knows what my problems would be for setting up a transmitter
let me know, and please post those files I asked for above! If you have
gotten a transmitter to work with lirc, can you please post how you did it,
this is driving me mad.