[mythtv-users] XBox as a front end?

Allen T. Gilliland IV alleng4 at yahoo.com
Mon May 26 22:54:05 EDT 2003

I am currently in the process of setting up my xbox to
work as a frontend.

Its actually been a major pain in the arse just to get
the thing modded and setup with a new dashboard so I
can do what I want with it.  Part of the problem could
be that I have a newer v1.1 xbox which is harder to
modify.

I haven't setup linux on the box yet, but I am
planning to soon.  It seems like the only options for
running mythfrontend are to use GentooX or Ed's
Debian.  I am going to try gentoox because thats what
I'm familiar with and it doesn't require an actual
installation process, you just copy over and run.

I do know for a fact that the xbox has 10/100 NIC and
it seems that gentoox uses a visual keyboard and lets
you use the gamepad or dvd remote to navigate.  So you
shouldn't need a keyboard.

I think its going to turn out to be a pretty slick
setup for a frontend ... and certainly versatile.