[mythtv-users] Quick HOWTO: Upgrading from 0.8 to latest CVS release

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Mon May 26 16:19:33 EDT 2003

And just a few more notes inline...

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 14:31, Ian Forde wrote:
> I couldn't find one, so I figured I'd write one up... I'm using RedHat
> 9...
>
> 1. First, we stop the existing mythtv.
> 	# pkill mythfrontend
> 	# service mythbackend stop
> 	# service mysqld stop
>
> 2. Back up your existing configurations, just to be careful.
> 	# tar cf /tmp/mythconfig.tar /usr/share/mythtv /usr/local/share/mythtv
>
> 3. Let's go somewhere safe...
> 	# cd /usr/local/src/
> 	# mkdir -p myth/cvs
> 	# cd myth/cvs
>
> 4. We get mythtv (blatantly stolen from the web page)
> 	# cvs -d :pserver:mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org:/var/lib/mythcvs login
>         Logging in to :pserver:mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org:/var/lib/mythcvs
>         CVS password: mythtv
>         # cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org:/var/lib/mythcvs checkout mythtv
>
> 5. Get the other modules too, while we're at it...
> 	# cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org:/var/lib/mythcvs checkout mythweb
> 	# cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org:/var/lib/mythcvs checkout mythmusic
> 	# cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org:/var/lib/mythcvs checkout mythvideo
> 	# cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org:/var/lib/mythcvs checkout mythgallery
> 	# cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org:/var/lib/mythcvs checkout mythgame
> 	# cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org:/var/lib/mythcvs checkout mythweather

For building mythmusic, I had to hack mythmusic/mythmusic/cddecoder.h
and mythmusic/mythmusic/cdrip.cpp as such:

Find
#include <cdda_interface.h>
#include <cdda_interface.h>

and replace with:
#include <cdda/cdda_interface.h>
#include <cdda/cdda_interface.h>

to get them to compile.

> 6. Build mythtv via the usual method... mythtv first, then the other
> modules.  Note that I'm using the atrpms, which put the binaries into
> /usr/bin.  When building from source it places them into
> /usr/local/bin.  Make sure that your $PATH variable is set to look at
> /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin OR create symlinks from the files in
> /usr/bin to /usr/local/bin...
>
> 7. Start the database
> 	# service mysqld start
>
> 8. Just in case, I editted and copied
> mythtv/configfiles/etc.sysconfig.mythbackend to
> /etc/sysconfig/mythbackend
>
> 9. Update the database.
> 	# cd /usr/local/src/myth/cvs/mythtv/database
> 	# mysql < 0-8-to-0-9.sql
>
> 10. Start the backend
> 	# service mythbackend start
>
> 11. Run the setup just to confirm that your settings are correct.
> 	# cd /usr/local/src/myth/cvs/mythtv/setup
> 	# ./setup

Additional steps - it turns out that my mythvideo settings were
overwritten.  So I copied back in the original entries into
/usr/share/mythtv/mythvideo-settings.txt.  I also had to hack back in
DVD support into the main menu, put my icon for it back, and move it
into the right place on the main screen (so that the Setup icon has to
be scrolled to instead of the DVD icon!)

	-Ian

--
                       Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME
                       ian at duckland.org / ian at cytben.com