[mythtv-users] Remote MythFrontend problems - pls help!

Steve Davidson smdavidson at belugasoftware.com
Fri May 23 11:02:49 EDT 2003

I am running mythtv-0.8 frontend and backend on an Athlon 1600+ running
RH9.  Video card is Geforce 4 Ti 4200 (128Meg), capture card Hauppage
WinTv PCI.  Sound is onboard via 686B (Alsa via82xx driver).  I have
been very impressed with performance and usability of this project -
thanks for an awesome product!

I am experiencing difficulties trying to get a remote frontend box
running.  The remote box is a Dell Latitude C800 (p3/850) running RH9.
I have installed all of the necessary components to satisfy Mythfrontend
dependencies.  I have added an entry to /etc/hosts for my backend box
(mythbackend, 192.168.0.30) and have changed the first line of
/usr/local/share/mythtv/mysql.txt to read DBHostName=mythbackend.

I have verified connectivity to MySql from the client machine; can
successfully query tables in the mythconverg database.

When I run mythfrontend on the client machine, I receive the following
messages:

connecting to backend server:127.0.0.1:6543
Could not connect to backend server.

Obviously something is wrong here: mysql.txt has the backend database
set to "mythbackend", which resolves to 192.168.0.30; why is the client
trying to connect to localhost?

I have tried everything that I can think of to get this running; I used
the binaries compiled on my backend machine, the RPMs that are
available.  I did a clean install of RH9 and built MythTV from scratch,
following the build instructions explicitly - same result in all cases.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something simple here - this should be
working. Is there a way to get mythfrontend to spit out more verbose
startup messages?

At wits end - please help!

== Steve