[mythtv-users] How about a benchmark utility... MythBench?

Joseph H. Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu May 22 23:48:11 EDT 2003

I am the furthest thing from a coder... but I could definitely see a
place for this in the mythtv package... and it would make it easier to
determine optimal settings.

I see it like this:

A couple of virtual video & sound devices (or a mock mpeg2 device even)
are created that are fed videos that would be relatively difficult to
encode (high motion, tickers, ect).  Then live tv mode is run off one
and recording off the other.  While this is happening the program logs
data from one of the many diagnostic utilites and after a few minutes it
all finishes.

When it's complete the data collected is compiled and some sort of score
is calculated.  Also in the generated report would be the file size
generated, the avg frames per second, the number of dropped frames and
any other data that might help in optimizing myth.

True this might not take into account crappy input signals, tv tuners,
sound cards or their related drivers... however this would allow people
to determine if their hardware is up to par and allow users to compare
systems and determine if their mobo/processor/ram/output video/output
audio/ect. Combo will provide good results.

I'm sure one of you developer types could expand upon this idea...

Basically it would be nice to have a way to quantify the capability of a
system to handle the IO intensive tasks.  And this would be virtually
impossible unless everyone were using the exact same external source
unless, as in my solution everyone would use the exact same internal
source.

Please let me know what you all think!

Joe