[mythtv-users] Re: Use a remote to input keys to a wireless ir keyboard

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu May 22 18:07:21 EDT 2003

 > Maybe this has been discussed before, but I thought i
 > would reiterate it for those dealing with lirc issues,
 > etc.
 >
 > An easy way to add support for a remote control
 > receiver , is to use a wireless keyboard on your
 > system (I use the Chicony $30 and surprising nice with
 > attached pointer) and then have your universal
 > remote(I use the Radio Shack 2104 along with JP1)
 > learn the IR commands for keypresses that MythTV uses.
 > (You may need to play around with the timing to get
 > the right effect you want.)
 >
 > No need for lirc or an extra piece of hardware.
 > Obviously if you want to use an IR transmitter, you
 > will need lirc still, but you'll have an extra port to
 > play with.
 >
 > Hope this helps someone who might otherwise avoid the
 > hassle of setting lirc and buying/building an IR
 > receiver.

Thank you so much for suggesting this. I've used Lite-On
"Airboard" wireless keyboards for years. I had tried
programming my Marantz learning remote from a Lite-On a
couple years ago and had no success. I wasn't able to
find the Lite-On recently when I needed a keyboard for
my bedroom TV so I got a Chicony. On your suggestion, I
tried programming my remote and it worked. The remote has
better range so I can use this more reliably from a distance
and it's easier to handle. I can always pick up the keyboard
for text entry. I can even use the remote to scroll through
command line history and edit numbers.

This is a very useful solution. Again, thank you.

--  bjm