[mythtv-users] mythbackend

Hellboy hellboy at hellahivemind.com
Thu May 22 17:09:35 EDT 2003

I noticed when I was running MythTV, and watching Live TV that my CPU
utilization was through the roof. My Athlon 900 was running between 88% and
94.8% and leaving me with about 8MB of RAM left out of 384MB. Needless to
say, that the box crashes for what I'm assuming is too heavy of a workload.
I used SSH to log in remotely, and noticed that there were between 4 and 6
processes for mythbackend that were running. Also, there were 2 or 3
instances of mythfrontend running as well, each taking up 33MB of RAM. The
number would fluctuate (one minute there would be two processes, the next
would be six, then back again).
According to the docs, an 800MHZ P3 should be able to encode and decode
allowing for Live TV  watching (although I'm assuming not much else). I
realize my CPU specs are not much higher than the bare minimum, and my RAM
is lower than the 512MB but it looks like it should be able to pull it off.
I'm using RTJPEG at the default cap res also.
What concerns me is the multiple instances of both programs running, and I'm
wondering if this normal, or if it is something I could pare back on. Sorry
if this is kind of a noob question, but, well, I'm kind of a noob at this.
Thanks for the help.

Wes

P.S. Down with SCO!!