[mythtv-users] [OT] Pundit Questions....

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Wed May 21 22:38:02 EDT 2003

> I think there are a few people that are awaiting Chris's (or anyone else who
> wants to tackle it) write-up on installing MythTV on the Pundit with Redhat
> 9.

Sorry for the delay here.  I've been a bit overworked lately (small
company, LOTS of computers to build, and the orders just keep pouring in
- $200k yesterday).

Anyway, I didn't really do anything special...

first (well, before the "final" install) I upped the video ram settings
in the bios to 64 megs.

installed redhat workstation install, deselected a few things like pgsql
(I grabbed mysql later via apt) so they wouldn't take up drive space.
it auto-detected the sound and video just fine.

after booting up, I popped in the Pundit CD and copied over the ethernet
driver, which compiled just fine with `make;make install` - I updated
modules.conf to auto-load the driver:  (pardon the line wraps)

--------------------</etc/modules/conf>------------

alias usb-controller usb-ohci
alias usb-controller1 ehci-hcd
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
alias eth0 bcm4400
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
	>/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
	>/dev/null 2>&1 || :
                                                                                                         alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 bttv

--------------------<end>--------------------------

I'd LOVE to get the NIC driver to compile with the openmosix kernel, but
it's not working.

I've installed apt from freshrpms.net and modified it to also point to
Axel's repository (and my internal one):

# xmltv, myth, etc
rpm http://apt.physik.fu-berlin.de redhat/9/en/i386 at at-stable at-good
rpm-src http://apt.physik.fu-berlin.de redhat/9/en/i386 at at-stable at-good
#rpm http://apt.physik.fu-berlin.de redhat/9/en/i386 at-stable at-good at-testing
#rpm-src http://apt.physik.fu-berlin.de redhat/9/en/i386 at-stable at-good at-testing

swap for the commented-out lines if you want his "testing" stuff, too.

You can then just `apt-cache search myth` to get a list of all of the
mythtv-related modules (Apparently, Isaac isn't keen on people
distributing cvs rpm's, so if anyone wants them, I can send you the
.spec file but you'll have to build them yourselves)

You'll need to manually create the mythtv database entries, which the
rpm will tell you to do as it installs (all you do is cat a file to
mysql - redhat defaults to no password for the root mysql user).  You'll
also need to run the mythtvsetup program and follow the standard
instructions for setting up mythtv.

oh, I also installed blackbox (and as I just update, I see that
freshrpms has finally ported it over to redhat 9)  I then created a
"myth" user and set the box to auto-login as that user, and created a
.Xclients file in the homedir:

--------------------</home/user/.Xclients>---------
#!/bin/bash

#Start a window manager
blackbox &

#Start the IR event server
/usr/bin/irxevent &

#Start MythTV
/usr/bin/mythfrontend

This file loads when you log in as "default" window manager (which you
have to manually choose once from the login screen).

Anyway, that's pretty much it.  I had some issues getting my tv card up
and running, but that doesn't relate to myth itself, and once I found
the right drivers and figured out how to get them to auto-load (see my
modules.conf above), it's been fine.

-Chris