[mythtv-users] RE:prv-250 capture settings and video quality

Vinton Coffman vintonc at redzone.com
Tue May 20 23:46:18 EDT 2003

I switched the frame size to 720x480 and that did take care of the
ghosts.  I bought some better cables too.

I set the video quality to 50% but that doesn't seem to effect the bit
rate.  Mythbackend  now reports
Stream #0.0: Video: mpegvideo, 720x480, 29.97 fps, 16000 kb/s
Stream #0.1: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stero, 384 kb/s

Now the average file size is ~3.8 GB/hour.

Can someone post their settings or the procedure necessary to reduce
the bit rate.  I was under the impression that people were getting
about 2 GB/h with the pvr-250.  Can anyone with a 250 card verify this.

BTW, I hooked my GeForce 4 440MX card up to a sony 20" tonight using a
really good s-video cable.  The picture detail is nice but the color is
a little flat compared to the same recording viewed on a 17" Apple
monitor.  I haven't mucked with the XF86Config file yet.  I still need
to set up the over scanning.  I was running at 1024x768.  I'm going to
try 800x600 and see if the color brightens up any and if the mythtv
menus are any more readable.  Just a little on the fuzzy side.  I seem
to remember reading something about changing a line in the code to
enable better font rendering.

TIA