[mythtv-users] Missing recordings Update

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Mon May 19 10:49:25 EDT 2003

Well ... Isaac is really the expert here, of course, but it appears to me
that the problem is what I guessed at first ... that the time between
stopping the second show and starting the third is insufficient to let the
third show start recording.

I just set my Myth host (running latest .deb binaries, not CVS) up to test
this sort of timing problem here, but of necessity, the test takes 2 hours
to complete. I'll get back to the list later with its results. I did try
something similar last week, but it involved capturing several consecutive
shows on the **same** channel, not as demanding a task since it does not
require that the vidcap card be reset ... just that the capture output
switch to a new file.

Do allow for the possibility that the latency in stopping capture depends
on the hardware. I'm using an AverTV card here, and with other capture
software (var/avifile), I always had to leave at least a minute, better
two, between stop and start of capture. This was partly (though I think not
entirely)  due to the limited time resolution of crond ... I expect Myth
uses an internal timer that is capable of timing to the second, not just
the minute. But still, your PVR 250 and its driver may introduce latency
that Myth does not allow for.

If I see the same problem in my test, though ... then I wonder if Myth
needs to refine its calculations of when two captures conflict?