[mythtv-users] Sell mythtv "set-top" boxes

adam i. howard donutz at yahoo.com
Fri May 16 10:47:12 EDT 2003

> From: Jon Hoyt <samika at myrealbox.com>
> To: MythTV List <mythtv-users at snowman.net>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Sell mythtv "set-top" boxes
>
> You could offer a pre-assembled HTPC box in a nice case 'ready to
> install your pvr software of choice'.  Then you could call it 'Myth
> compatible' and include a Linux distro all set up for Myth on a CD.

This sounds probably like the best I could do out of my garage. But
since this targets more the "do it yourself" crowd, they just might do
that after they get the idea from any "advertising" I do. And if that's
the case, I'd probably have to go with a fairly low price markup on the
hardware in order to coax them to buy from me instead of build it
themselves. Still, I could make a few bucks selling a few systems like
these (probably enough to pay for one of my own), plus I'd get the
experience too... At this point, this is almost exactly what I'm
looking for :)

Also, this is the best solution I've seen so far for the problems
people have mentioned with having to support the systems, and
supporting the TV listings data. You could even offer a MythTV install
CD along with the hardware, but offer no support on it.

> The purchaser could then install Myth with the understanding they
> would be supporting it themselves, or they could install Windows and
> Showshifter or any other software they wanted.
>
> The Myth user would be getting proven hardware and the knowledge that
> there were others out there with the same set up, but it would still
> be a 'project' and they would be supporting it themselves.  Your
> market would still be do-it-yourselfers, but much less experience
> would be necessary to get started.  I think there are lots of people
> out there that would love a 'kit' like this.

This has turned out to be a great (and very informative) discussion!

Adam