[mythtv-users] Re: Re: Best video capture resolution for output to TV?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri May 16 13:36:08 EDT 2003

It's something like 240 scan lines times 2 interlaced frames = 480 scan
lines.
(Actually, I think it's more than that, but the extra lines contain stuff
like the VBI data)

The confusing issue here is what defines the horizontal resolution?  The
technical answer seems to be "as high as you want to sample it", however
there is a practical limit beyond which there is no visible differenc in
picture quality.  This is due to the relatively poor quality (compared to
digital) of the source signal as well as the limitations of a typical NTSC
television set (unless you have an HDTV & a DVI output on your frontend).

-JAC