[mythtv-users] Re: Best video capture resolution for output to TV?

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Fri May 16 09:39:29 EDT 2003

At 11:06 AM 5/16/2003 -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
[...]
> > It all depends on your personal preference.  Some people think VHS
> > quality is good enough, while some people won't settle for anything less
> > than DVD quality (full NTSC resolution).  If it were me, I would be
> > recording at 720x480, but I want the best quality I can get.
>
>Why capture at 720x480 when NTSC resolution is not that high?  Anything
>beyond 640x480 is a waste (actually, even 480x480 is just fine... see below)

Please forgive my confusion here ...but in what sense does NTSC even *have*
a horizontal "resolution"? I understand that the vertical resolution -- 480
real, out of 525 theoretical, lines, in two interlaced frames -- is well
defined. But I thought the horizontal signal was continuous, not discrete,
making the relevant question the appropriate rate at which to *sample* it
for digitizing.  (There is probably a theoretical answer to the
sampling-rate question too, but I've never seen it explained.)