[mythtv-users] Best video capture resolution for output to TV?

Ben Brown ben at handcoder.com
Fri May 16 00:45:52 EDT 2003

I've played with settings a lot, and I've found I can't really tell a
difference between 640x480 and 320x480.  I record at MPEG4 320x480 4400
bitrate.  This gives me quality inline with a regular cable connection
and takes about 1Gig per hour of recording.  Watching LiveTV uses about
33% of my Athlon XP 2000.  This leaves me plenty of processor for a
second recording. Watchin Live TV and Recording anoth Show uses about
75% processor. When I watch TV, Record and Play a movie on a remote
front end, I'm pretty much max out my CPU.

Also worth noting is that I have my Live TV buffering on a separate disk
from my record TV storage.

My system is Athlon XP 2000+, 256 DDR, 80G 8MB Cache ATA133, 40G 2MB
Cache ATA 100

Ben (Brown)