[mythtv-users] two and one

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed May 14 16:27:57 EDT 2003

Adam Hirsch wrote:
> Hey, folks.  I have a couple of non-technical questions and one technical
> question, being new to the list.
>
> The non-technical questions first, I suppose.
>
> 1) I'm curious as to what brings people to try out MythTV.  Is it the geeky
> pleasure of building something oneself?  Is it wanting to be independent
> from TiVo's feature control or fate?  Is it cost?  Is it the extra features
> that one can't get from the commercial PVRs out there?

I have a TiVo in the living room and a ReplayTV in my bedroom
since before I found MythTV. I still use the commercial
products daily and it may be awhile until I sell them on ebay.

What MythTV does that the product don't do, and likely never
will do, is use one scheduler for any number of tuners and
allow the same list of recordings to be viewed from any screen
(TV or computer monitor). With the TiVo and ReplayTV, I can
only record one show at a time and have to watch it on the
TV where the device is attached. If there are overlapping
things I want to record, I'd have to choose no more than
two and walk back and forth manually coordinating them.

With MythTV, currently I can record up to four overlapping
shows. This is great for sports playoffs, network competition
putting their best shows on at the same, etc. I used to think
that If I could schedule two tuners, all my problems would
be solved. I'm now surprised how often three and four overlapping
recordings happen.

Once shows have been recorded, I can watch then on the big
screen in the living room, in a window on my desktop while I'm
working, or in the bedroom. I can even Save Position in one
location and watch from that point in another location.

I realize this thread is old (I had the flu for the past
few days) but didn't see anyone mention the advantages of
multiple frontends and backends which I think is the
distinguishing feature of MythTV.

--  bjm