[mythtv-users] Client-Server hardware arch questions?

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Wed May 14 00:19:28 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 13 May 2003 10:42 pm, Ben Davis wrote:
> >You can do both, actually.  The backend will stream the file on the fly to
> > the frontend for playback using TCP, but if you NFS mount the the
> > recording directories so they're in the same place on the frontends as
> > they are on the backend, it'll use that instead.  Currently, only TV
> > recordings are frontend/backend aware, but I hope to change that sometime
> > after the next release.
>
> I've been curious about this as well.. So is it possible to have a beefy
> backend  comp with two or more video cards, lots of disk space, etc,
> and then have "thin clients" for the TV frontends, with the only real
> requirements being TV-out?  For example, the frontends would only need
> to have 100mbit ethernet, a vid card w/ tv out, and a tiny hardrive (or
> ramdisk?) for the OS, right? If so, that would be incredible!

Yup.  That was the whole point of the multi-month long rewrite of the
internals for the 0.8 release =)  Remote frontends are incredibly easy to
setup, too.  All you have to do (beyond having a working linux install, etc)
is to compile mythtv, edit mysql.txt to point to the mysql server that it's
sharing with the backends, and run mythfrontend.  Everything else is done
totally automatically.

Isaac