[mythtv-users] OSX mencoder setting

John Doll john at swiftrunning.com
Mon May 12 17:36:08 EDT 2003

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share some useful
info for the OS X crowd out there. With the patched mplayer/mencoder its
pretty easy to create video files that can be played in QuickTime (I'm
using 6.x) on your OS X. Once QuickTime can play a file so
can iMovie and then iDVD. after cutting out all the commercials you can
get 2
shows on a DVD.

I've yet to get mplayer to compile on OS X so you'll have to do this on
Linux box (but of course you have one of those if your running myth to
begin with)

mencoder <infilename>.nuv -vop
scale -zoom -xy 640 -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=800:vhq:vqmin=2:vqmax=10:keyint=240 -o
<outfilename>.avi

I tried using divx instead of mpeg4 at first, but QuickTime would
segfault
every time I tried to play one. Windows Media Player 9 will not play
this
file (mpeg4 and MS don't mix) but the divx player for windows will.

the mythmkmovie script floating around provided a great starting point
for
automating the process.

-John