[mythtv-users] audio in ogg?

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Mon May 12 01:01:10 EDT 2003

On Sunday 11 May 2003 11:47 pm, Chris Petersen wrote:
> Any particular reason why audio is stored as mp3 instead of vorbis?
>
> Personally, I've seen that vorbis is easier on the cpu to encode
> (encodes faster), and from what I've read, is much better quality at
> lower bitrates.

It's much harder to encode, at least, last I checked it was something like 3x
slower to encode to equivalent sized oggs than it was to go to mp3.  The
other thing is there isn't a 'low-latency encode' mode to the ogg encoder --
you can't give it data, and get back the compressed portion for that bit of
data, you have to wait until it's done, and that can be several seconds
later.

Isaac