[mythtv-users] feature request

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Sun May 11 13:08:07 EDT 2003

At 03:48 PM 5/11/2003 -0300, you wrote:
>Set your mythbox's time ahead a few mins?

This is a cute response but really not very useful advice. The reality of
cheap, drifty clocks on PCs means that their time will never be accurate
enough for automated recording unless they sync externally, via NTP for
example,  fairly often (daily is my own practice) to a more accurate clock.
Unless there is a way of putting a 3-minute custom timezone offset into
your locale (for all I know there is this capability, since there are a
couple of real timezones with 30-minute offsets), this suggestion will not
work very well with NTP updates.

The original poster is correct that this is a feature request for the
developers.

As to the other question, an unaddressed issue here is latency in starting
and stopping the v4l stuff. My experience (from pre-Myth capturing with a
cheap Hauppauge) is that you cannot schedule a stop and start with less
than 2 minutes' separation and count on the second start being able to
access the v4l device. THis was using crond, though, which is only accurate
to a minute ... does anyone know the corresponding limitation for Myth's timer?

Personally, I would lean toward treating any end-start gap of less than the
underlying latency (including whatever "edge padding" is specified) as a
conflict.