[mythtv-users] Re:PVR-250/350 and MiniITX?

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Sun May 11 16:40:37 EDT 2003

> Van: Jamison Wilde <jamison_wilde at yahoo.com>
>
> I have 2 mini-itx systems, ME6000 and
> M10000(Nehemiah). I got the ME6000 first, while
> waiting for the Nehemiah.  With the Matrox g200 PCI
> card->MJPEG ($90 from compuvest), I got good results
> on the ME6000(no fan).  Playback maxed the system,
> uncompressed audio, but hey it did work, video was
> okay a few dropped frames, etc.  Recording was easy,
> 25% of CPU. LiveTV worked at decimation 2, 50%.  (I've
> now converted this box to an mp3 server now that I
> have the M10000)

Then you must be one of the few who succeeded.

Okay, with a G200 it's 'easy' :-P

> With the M10000, everything works great.  I don't know
> how much more processor is required for the PVR250,
> but for the g200 MJPeg, LiveTV works great.

Also nice to hear :-)

Do you know any sites that compare the EPIA M10000 Ezra-T with the Nehemia
version? I've found one comparing the Nehemia to the M9000, but from what
I've heard the M10000 also already had some changes in the CPU core.

> I have no issues with power running a Samsung 3.5"
> 120GB drive + ME6000 + matrox, or the M10000 + a
> seagate Barracuda VI and matrox + slimline DVD.  ( I
> actually recommend the Samsung(5400) over the
> Seagate(7200) for noise, plus it's cheaper(est).

So what Samsung do you recommend? The SV1204H I guess? (hdparm -I|more if
you are unsure). Tom's Hardware Guide says it's 3dB less than the Seagate
(54dB vs. 57dB), that should be slightly noticable indeed.

> Noise is an issue with the M10000 tho, and I am
> looking at putting in a Zalman flower heat sink or the
> like (cutting out part of the case so there's room and
> air) to get rid of the noiser CPU fan (for the
> bedroom).  Acoustic Absoption pads also help.

Hmmm...

I think cutting the case won't do you any good, it will open it up for the
noise to come out. Plus the 'natural airflow' inside the case is
interrupted, which might lead to heat buildup elsewhere. You should better
find a case that fits the cooler.

btw, VIA features some coolers that are known to fit the EPIA's. Not every
cooler fits, most Athlon coolers do. Google a bit and you will probably
find some specific.

	Henk Poley <><