[mythtv-users] System freeze when "Watch TV"

Mark Haislip mark at voxpopzine.com
Fri May 9 10:55:26 EDT 2003

Hello Vince,

VB> Mark was right, the audio was causing the freeze.  I finally got Alsa to
VB> install.  Now I have slow jerky video and no sound.  But this is progress!  I'll
VB> try the suggestions I've seen posted and if I can't resolve my problems, I'll
VB> start another thread.

VB> Thanks for all the help.

VB> Vince

>> VB> When I type "space" at "Watch TV" my system freezes, e.g.
>> ctrl-alt-F1 doesn't
>> VB> work.  I have to push the reset button to recover.

>> I bet sound is burning you. Audio not set up right and it will hang.
>> Think about installing the Alsa drivers. Also do a 'ps -eadf|grep
>> aplay' If you see aplay running, kill it. Not sure myself what it
>> is(havn't taken two seconds to look either ;-))
>> but I have a problem some times with it on my Mandrake 9.0 box. Make
>> sure that it is not running and then try to start tv again. Might have
>> to restart the frontend also.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>>  Mark

Great. From what I remember you box is plenty fast and the video
should not be jerky. Look at hdparm. I had to alter some harddrive
params to get mine to run right. The defaults gave me very poor hard
drive performance and my video was jerky at first also. Now it's very
smooth.

The sound has to be there. Play with the mixer.

--
Best regards,
 Mark                            mailto:mark at voxpopzine.com