[mythtv-users] Tivo debuts slimmed-down TV service

Ben Davis ben at xsusio.com
Fri May 9 01:39:13 EDT 2003

Ben Davis wrote:

> Joseph Caputo wrote:
>
>> I'd be interested to see the hardware specs... wonder if it might make a
>> decent Myth box?  Of course, based on the current generation of Tivo
>> hardware, I'd say probably not.
>>

> The idea of putting Linux on a Tivo is pretty new to me..  Is this
> actually possible??  I mean, it would make much more sense to me
> buying hardware that's made for TV recording rather than spending
> almost twice as much building a full-on computer...  Would this really
> be possible? I would think there would be some serious hardware driver
> issues...

(foot - in - mouth )
Heh.. I just did a quick search for "Tivo Linux" and I guess tivo uses
linux on their machines .. Ha! Shows what I know :-p. ..  The cool thing
is that they make the source code freely available.  Would it be safe to
say you could take a Tivo and turn it into a MythBox ??  What would be
the advantages/disadvantages of this as compared to builiding your own box?