[mythtv-users] better tv-out cards

Eni Gma enigma at thedonnerparty.com
Thu May 8 13:15:48 EDT 2003

Craig Longman wrote:

> Eni Gma wrote:
>
>> Craig Longman wrote:
>>

>>> i'm getting frustrated with the squished up output i'm getting on
>>> this nvidia card i bought for tv out.  the most frustrating part is
>>> if they would have proper open-source drivers, i'm sure this would
>>> be fixed by now.
>>

>> Yeah, like the ATI, S3 and Matrox drivers.  They have GREAT TV-Out
>> support.
>

> so you can overscan those cards properely?  i'm quite partial to
> matrox, they've always seemed to be ready to provide the little guy
> the information they needed sooner than later, maybe i'll look into
> those. which one have you used and how much are you able to adjust it?

Doh!  It's hard to do my sarcastic voice over the internet (I tried to
stress the "GREAT" but obviously my point did not get across).  What I
was saying was that open-source TV-Out support is spotty at best, and
mostly non-existent.  To assume that Nvidia's TV-out would work better
if it were open source ignores the evidence.  The cards that do have
open-source drivers have terrible TV-out support.  I think this is
partly due to hardware limitations as well as the accursed Macrovision.

IIRC, Nvidia cards have an open-source driver, but it does not have
support for the TV connectors.  I don't know what you meant by "proper
open-source drivers" but I doubt that your problem would be fixed by now
even if all Nvidia drivers were open.