[mythtv-users] Permissions on devices?

Barry Davis bdavis at eurologic.com
Thu May 8 16:47:31 EDT 2003

try this:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/dsp0

If this fails straight away then you won't be able to get anywhere with
an application that needs sound like mythtv. If it works press CtrlC to
stop it otherwise it will go on for ever.
Seeing as you have devfs and this file exists (/dev/dsp) I'm pretty
confident that you sound is working.
You can change the ownership of /dev/dsp to yourself using chown
user:group /dev/dsp, but that will be tempoary, next time you reboot it
will be recreated with the original ownership.

Did you try adding yourself to the audio group?