[mythtv-users] VIDIOCSYNC0: Input/output error

Dan Brown dglbrown at yahoo.com
Tue May 6 10:42:00 EDT 2003

Hi- I've been trying for months to get past this
problem, and have been having no success. This is the
output I get from the backend when I start up myth and
try to watch tv:

Starting up as the master server.
Probed: /dev/video0 - Television
Probed: /dev/video0 - Composite1
Probed: /dev/video0 - S-Video
adding: localhost.localdomain as a player 1
adding: localhost.localdomain as a player 0
adding: localhost.localdomain as a player 0
adding: localhost.localdomain as a remote ringbuffer
Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
audio volume set to '32768'
strange error flushing buffer ...
VIDIOCSYNC0: Input/output error
VIDIOCSYNC1: Input/output error
VIDIOCSYNC0: Invalid argument
VIDIOCSYNC1: Invalid argument
VIDIOCSYNC0: Invalid argument
VIDIOCSYNC1: Invalid argument

... and these last two lines repeat endlessly in the
console while the MythTV window is black, and without
sound. THis problem happens only after I watch some
recorded program - that is, I can have the box record
shows just fine, but then if I watch one of them, I
can no longer watch tv. and if I try to record another
program after having watched one, then it seems to
work (according to the console messages), but the
files it produces are tiny (and keep growing slowly
even after the actual show is over -- long after it
finishes even), and when I go to play these small
video files, it gives me repeating errors in the
mythfrontend window like this:

Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!
Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!
Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!

... and so on, with only a black screen as above.

I have tried damn hard to figure out what I'm doing
wrong and I am about to throw in the towel. What good
is a pvr that can EITHER record OR play shows but not
both?? To make matters more confusing, it seems to
work OK displaying live TV if I reboot the machine,
but eventually succumbs to the same symptoms.

I'm running myth 0.8 (0.7 had the same problem) and
using a p4 2.4ghz dell with an avertv stereo tuner
card, onboard intel i810 sound, and a nvidia geforce4
with s-video out card. I've tried to install the
latest bttv drivers - 0.7.106 and 0.9.10, but neither
seem to take care of it. i haven't been able to get
xawtv to say it will use v4l2 - instead it is using
v4l - is that an issue?

What should I try next? A different tuner card??

Thanks VERY much for your help. please let me know if
I am leaving out any important details.
Dan