[mythtv-users] Savage video cards, TV out, and X

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Mon May 5 20:24:10 EDT 2003

At 09:59 PM 5/5/2003 -0400, James Knight wrote:
>On Monday, May 5, 2003, at 03:03  PM, Ray Olszewski wrote:
>>Additional details: if both TV and VGA displays are connected, and I
>>startx, the VGA display blanks. The X startup includes this message:
>>         (EE) SAVAGE(0): Failed to fetch any BIOS modes. Disabling BIOS.
>
>This is the problem. I don't know what caused this error, but, if the X
>driver doesn't use BIOS mode-switching, it will not work, at all, on a TV.
>The X driver's non-BIOS-mode-switching code doesn't actually do the right
>thing to make TV out work on the majority of hardware.
>
>I recall seeing that message at one point during my attempts to get my
>Shuttle's savage card to work, but I'm not sure what fixed it. Have you
>tried using "s3switch TV" before running X? I think that may have done
>something for me.

Since the TV display was working for the console, I didn't think of trying
that. But I just gave it a try, and it does not change the result. I still
have a trashed TV screen, and the same "Disabling BIOS" message comes up.
If you can remember anything else you did, I'd sure appreciate hearing
about (and trying) it.