[mythtv-users] how to take a screenshot?

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Sun May 4 23:28:14 EDT 2003

At 03:19 PM 5/4/2003 -0500, Ben Davis wrote:
>I feel like no one's goig to be able to help me with my problem unless I
>actually have a way of showing what it looks like.
>
>When I try to take a screenshot of my TV output it comes out as blue space
>in the resulting image. I noticed someone figured out how to do the
>screenshots on the mythtv website.. Does anyone know how to get a
>screennshot of TV output?

As others have noted, TV output displayed using xVideo cannot be captured
in a screenshot. The usual workaround for this is to use a different video
mode (for example, xShm, or X Shared Memory) to take the screenshot.

I know (the hard way, alas) that if xVideo support is not available in the
X server, mythfrontend will use some other video mode (I'm guessing xShm,
but I don't actually know this). How to force this switch if xVideo *is*
present I do not know ... perhaps a more experienced MythTV user than I can
suggest the way.

Of course, if the problem you are having does not occur with this other
video mode, this method will not let us see it.