[mythtv-users] Re: TV-tuner noise interference problem

Alexander P. Petkov ap154036 at selway.umt.edu
Sat May 3 20:38:50 EDT 2003

I tried to send mail earlier today, but it bounced. I apologize if it
shows up twice... Here it is again:

I believe I have found what's causing this video signal interference
with my tv-tuner card.

I am running an Abit BH6 ver 1.0 with an upgradeware slot-t adapter
that houses a Celeron 1.4 processor.

Anyway, I took the whole machine apart this morning, and inspected
cards one by one:

1. I changed the video card, the video noise problem was still there.
2. I changed the processor with an old Celeron 400Mhz, the problem
almost went away.

Upon closer inspection of the motherboard, I see that the inductor
coil (between the keyboard and PS/2 mouse ports, and the slot 1) is
all charred.

Also, the 4 capacitors at the same location are swollen and cracked @
the top.

What happens is that the Slot-t adapter supplies voltage through the
molex connector, which is out of spec for the motherboard. People
suggest using aluminum plate to dissipate heat, but I didn't have
one. Other than that, the motherboard still works fine.

I tried again the tv-tuner card in another computer, no problem
whatsoever with the signal.

So , it looks like I will have to look to change/upgrade the
motherboard, or try to fix it.

Any suggestions for a Tualatin motherboard? Is it possible to replace
the coil and capacitors on the Abit?

Thanks for reading this and for your ideas.

Alex