[mythtv-users] n00b question

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Fri May 2 12:47:51 EDT 2003

At 01:30 PM 5/2/2003 -0500, Mike Tvarkunas wrote:

>Sorry for the n00b question... but I'm at a loss.   I have set up 2 test
>myth boxes, so I feel I have a little understanding of it.  What is going
>wrong now is my bttv driver isn't loading.. I'm getting unresolved symbols
>in bttv.o, and tvmixer.o.  I'm recompiled and done everything like the
>other 2 boxes, but still have troubles.  The only differences is this one
>is a NForce2 MB, and I have to compile nvnet.o (network driver), and this
>was where everything went wrong.

Well ... "unresolved symbols" pretty consistently means one of two things.

1. The module is not compiled for the kernel you are trying to load it in.

2. Some other module that (in this instance) bttv and tvmixer needs is
failing to load.

First, compare the output of "lsmod" on a working box with the
corresponding output from a problem box. If both have bttv working, they
should have a list about like this one (a partial listing from one of my
hosts):

         tuner                   8224   1 (autoclean)
         tvaudio                11036   0 (autoclean) (unused)
         bttv                   66464   0
         videodev                3872   2 [bttv]
         i2c-algo-bit            7016   1 [bttv]
         i2c-core               12644   0 [tuner tvaudio bttv i2c-algo-bit]

Second, run "depmod" and see what errors it returns. If none, then try
modprobe'ing bttv again and see if running depmod fixed the dependency problem.

If neither of those turns up the problem, then I'd surmise that your "done
everything like the other 2 boxes" summary of your procedure is concealing
some variation that occurs without your realizing it (or realizing its
importance).  So please describe your procedure less succinctly.

Oh one last question ... is the nvnet.o module loading successfully? Or is
it reporting errors too? (You did say "everything" went wrong.)