[mythtv-users] full duplex sound card

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 26 16:27:00 UTC 2003

What kind of TV tuner card do you have?  If it supports btaudio (= direct
audio extraction from tuner card over the PCI bus without need for patch
cable/duplex sound card), then that's the way to go.  Search the archives
for plenty of info on how to tell if your tuner supports btaudio & if so how
to set it up.

As far as other sound cards (if btaudio is not an option)... I have a
Hercules Fortissimo III which does full duplex, but I really can't remember
how well since I've been using btaudio.  I also have a C-Media onboard chip
which, as you correctly stated, has horrible doing duplex.  FYI, if you get
*any* PCI sound card, then it really doesn't matter if it does full
duplex -- since you'll have 2 sound cards (onboard & separate PCI), you
could record with one and playback with the other.  That is essentially what
you're doing when you use btaudio, anyway.  Even the C-Media chip might
handle this; I think the hiss is only an issue when the card is opened in
duplex mode.

Hope that helped.

-Joe C.