[mythtv-users] SLow CD Reads

Richard Gerald Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Thu Mar 20 06:18:53 UTC 2003

Nathan Ziarek wrote:
| Is this true for Mandrake as well?
|
| --
| Nathan Ziarek
| (414) 339 2513
| nathan at ziarek.com
| http://www.ziarek.com/

by default, mandrake (at least 9.0) shuts off dma to cdrom drives in the
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.  I agree with this decision (as both my cd-burner
and dvd-ram drive will cause a delayed kernel panic with it enabled).

"hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc" will enable it (obviously make this match your
drive)  Also note that it appears mandrake uses another system to assign
these properties at startup, so look at the appropriate section of
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.