[mythtv-users] Re: Cannot record/hear sound (line in muted,recording source set)

Alex Wilbur alex at neuon.com
Mon Mar 10 19:35:37 UTC 2003

Hi

> Hi there,
> I got one of these Hercules SmartTV cards recently too. WRT to the
> audio, I read somewhere that msp3400 module will let you get stereo
> sound out of the card. Also, I found a patch for bttv which supports
> this card ( card=100 ). I posted all the links and how I got the
> modules
> setup here: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=39583
> I never managed to get xawtv going though. It can never find the
> grabber device. tvtime works fine though. I'd be interested to know
> how
> you got that working.
> I spent sometime trying to make mythfilldatabase work with tv_grab_fi
> also. But, I was trying with 0.7. What did you need to do to get it to
> support tv_grab_fi?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dan

I just sent a patch for tv_grab_fi to the dev list. I hope it is
correct. Its working on my system, so that's something I guess.

I have the Hercules SmartTV Stero card. I managed to find a patch for
bttv from the video4linux mailing list for this particular card. Have a
search on google and I think you can find it. With this change, CARDLIST
is updated to 101 entries (you obviously need the latest version too).
101 is 'our' card. That sort the picture side of things out (obviously,
you need to configure your modules.conf appropriately).

I didn't have to do anything with regards to the msp3400. I did install
alsa (latest version). I no doubt only have it working in mono then, but
it is stable. XawTV is fine.

My modules.conf looks like this:

# For TV Card
options i2c-core i2c_debug=1
options bttv card=101 radio=0
options tuner card=5
options tvaudio
alias char-major-81 bttv

Can you elaborate on that msp3400 thing? What does this actually do?:

pre-install bttv modprobe -k tuner; modprobe -k msp3400 debug=1
simple=0x20

I do have a problem whereby despite adding tvaudio to my modules.conf
(see above) I still have to su to root, and then "modprobe tvaudio" each
and every boot in order to get sound with xawtv. I wish I knew what to
do to fix that.

xawtv -hwscan lists the following:

[alex]$ xawtv -hwscan
This is xawtv-3.74, running on Linux/i686 (2.4.18-26.8.0custom_Alex2)
looking for available devices
port 59-59
    type : Xvideo, image scaler
    name : ATI Radeon Video Overlay

/dev/video0: OK                         [ -device /dev/video0 ]
    type : v4l
    name : BT878(Pace TV & Radio Card)
    flags: overlay capture tuner

Not sure if thatalex]$ xawtv -hwscan
This is xawtv-3.74, running on Linux/i686 (2.4.18-26.8.0custom_Alex2)
looking for available devices
port 59-59
    type : Xvideo, image scaler
    name : ATI Radeon Video Overlay

/dev/video0: OK                         [ -device /dev/video0 ]
    type : v4l
    name : BT878(Pace TV & Radio Card)
    flags: overlay capture tuner

That probably doesn't help. Let me know if there is any more useful info
I can provide.

Regards

Alex