[mythtv-users] Hard drive failure...

JC johnmythtv at crombe.com
Fri Mar 7 05:35:27 UTC 2003

Ok, here's the scoop...

I booted from the CD, entered "rescue", did e2fsck -c -y /dev/hda5 and it
found and fixed lots of errors.  I rebooted when done and all came up just
like it was never messed up.  I suspect some files *must* be messed up, but
it's not visible.  Myth even came up.

So next, I ran tune2fs -j /dev/hda5 (my 68gb /video partition) and also on
/dev/hda6 (my 3.4gb os partition).  I also have a 1gb swap partition (have
512mb ram).  That ran fine.  Next I put in "ext3,ext2" in my fstab for both
the hda5 and hda6 as suggested.  Here's my fstab (feel free to criticize!):

[root at p800 mythtv]# cat /etc/fstab
# WAS: /dev/hda6 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/hda6 / ext3,ext2 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
//192.168.0.6/C /mnt/C smbfs credentials=/etc/samba/auth.192.168.0.6.crombej
0 0
//192.168.0.6/DVD /mnt/DVD smbfs
credentials=/etc/samba/auth.192.168.0.6.crombej 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount
dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
//c117787-d/C /mnt/p4_C smbfs credentials=/etc/samba/auth.c117787-d.crombej
0 0
//192.168.0.6/V /mnt/p4_v smbfs
credentials=/etc/samba/auth.192.168.0.6.crombej 0 0
//c117787-d/X_VIDEO /mnt/p4_x smbfs
credentials=/etc/samba/auth.c117787-d.crombej 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
# WAS: /dev/hda5 /video ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda5 /video ext3,ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0

And here's the output from "mount"
[root at p800 mythtv]# mount
/dev/hda6 on / type ext3,ext2 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620)
/dev/hda5 on /video type ext2 (rw)
//192.168.0.6/C on /mnt/C type smbfs (0)
//192.168.0.6/DVD on /mnt/DVD type smbfs (0)
//c117787-d/C on /mnt/p4_C type smbfs (0)
//192.168.0.6/V on /mnt/p4_v type smbfs (0)
//c117787-d/X_VIDEO on /mnt/p4_x type smbfs (0)
[root at p800 mythtv]#

Notice how /hda6 shows ext3,ext2 but /hda5 only shows ext2?  Why is that?
To prove that I really did the tune2fs -j on it, I ran it again and it
reported "The filesystem already has a journal.".  Is that right?

Finally, should I change hda5 and 6 both to be
"defaults,noatime,data=writeback 0 2"  or only the OS parition or the Video
one or what?  I've read about it but your practical experience is way more
valuable than my books!

Thanks!
JC

P.S.  Now that Myth isn't currently running and I'm just sitting at KDE, is
there some "system test" program I should run to just run the heck out of it
(hard drive, memory, video, etc.) to see if all is working well and will
stay up?  Hate to start doing some heavy Myth coding and have it crash on me
again.