[mythtv-users] Celeron vs P4 equal clock speeds

Christian Hack christianh at pdd.edmi.com.au
Fri Mar 7 07:23:52 UTC 2003

At 11:18 PM 3/5/2003 -0800, skeeterskip wrote:
>Yeah, I have computer in living room right now and I
>do most of work from machine in another room. I use
>program called Putty which does ssh.
>
>I can try the commands locally from living room, but
>am pretty sure I get the same thing.

"pretty sure" doesn't count when troubleshooting. Try it, and tell us if it
works or not. If it fails with a *different* error, tell us the exact error
message.

If you are accessing your Myth host from a remote host that runs X, you
should be able to tunnel X through ssh or even run it untunneled. (MythTV
might not work well this way -- I've not tried it -- but it should at least
be willing to make the initial connection to the X server.) But Putty is a
Windows app, and Windows systems are not *usually* running X servers, with
the consequence that there is no X server for mythtv or mythfrontend to
connect to. Hence the message you report seeing.

What you should do is go to the actual MythTV host, and start X on it under
the userid mythtv (don't let Mandrake and KDE push you around here ...
automatically starting X as root is a configuration error of some sort).
Then open an xterm (or KDE's equivalent, probably a kterm if it follows the
usual naming convention for KDE stuff). From the xterm, run "mythfrontend".

If you encounter a problem with *this* procedure, post a followup that
describes it specifically, including the exact error output you see in the
xterm.

If you are running an X server on the Windows host, we may be able to help
you get mythtv running to it. But not until you have verified that mythtv
and mythfronend work property in the simpler, same-host setting ... with
troubleshooting, it's always wise to solve one problem at a time.

In any case, to troubleshoot the remote-X problem, we'll need the details
of *how* you have X running on Windows (what version of Windows, what X
server, what userid, what provisions for remote access, what arrangements
for ssh tunneling).