[mythtv-users] Success - Setting Up 2 Hauppauge Cards - btaud io - modules.conf

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Mar 26 13:19:52 EST 2003

Ralph Little wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>>#This is the standard alias line for bttv not sure meaning
>>>alias char-major-81 bttv
>>

> I think that this is just a link to signify that the bttv driver is required
> to successfully access char devices of major device number 81. If the device
> is accessed, the driver is autoloaded.
>
> I'm sure someone will butt in to correct me, if I'm wrong.   :)

Hey, I'll butt in even though you are correct ;-).

This says to load bttv and it's prerequsites when you access
any device with major number 81, usually /dev/video*

However, if you have more than one v4l device and they use
different drivers, only the videodev module is common and
the other modules are specific to the minor number:

alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 km_drv  # ATI All-in-Wonder
alias char-major-81-1   bttv  # WinTV GO

If you only have bttv cards, major-81 is bttv and will work
even though it isn't strictly correct.

--  bjm