[mythtv-users] Myth native ALSA support

Scott Elliott selliott at insight.rr.com
Mon Jun 30 22:00:51 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 02:45, Cedar McKay wrote:
> <comment> Confusion here. You used to have to do ./snddevices here, but
> the alsa install docs now specifically tell you not to after 0.9.3
> right here:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/
> template.php3?company=Nvidia&card=nForce&chip=NM2360&module=intel8x0
>   Why do they distribute ./snddevices then? Anyway, if I proceed with
> the install without running ./snddevices when it is all over I don't
> get sound, I don't have /dev/dsp devices and alsamixer won't launch. So
> the second time through I ran ./snddevices and that at least got analog
> sound working and alsamixer would launch.</comment>

I believe you need to run snddevices;  If you're using native ALSA, you
probably don't, but if you're using the OSS emulation, you do.  I
didn't, but I use Gentoo, with devfs, so the device entries are created
automagically.

> move into alsa-lib
> ./cvscompile
> make install
> move into alsa-utils
> ./cvscompile
> make install
> chmod 777 /dev/dsp*
> update /etc/modules.conf //see below
> cd /etc/rc.d/init.d
> /sbin/chkconfig --add alsasound
> reboot
> modules seem to load correctly
> fiddle with alsamixer in the usual way until analog sound works using
> /dev/dsp
>
> At this point you say "manually go into the database and use
> /dev/sound/adsp"
> I didn't try this because I don't have that device. In fact there isn't
> even a dev/sound/ directory created. Did you have to create this device
> yourself somehow?

Sorry, that's because of devfs.  You should use /dev/adsp, which should
be created by snddevices.

--
Scott Elliott <selliott at insight.rr.com>