[mythtv-users] More ATI-tvout gatos/retinaburn fun! [OT]

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Mon Jun 30 18:31:36 EDT 2003

Nick Stephens wrote:
> See, i was curious about this, because I tried patching the devel gatos
> source with the retinalburn patch, and it did not apply whatsoever (it did
> apply happily to the regular cvs source tho)...  I thought that I saw it
> say somewhere that i needed the devel code, but like i said, the patch
> didnt work on it... hence my confusion!

These are two seperate things.

>>>i have an ATI card that I'm of course trying to foolishly get to work with
>>>tvout, and so i was intending to use the patch from retinalburn to try to
>>>make it work..
>>
>>This site says it is specifically for Mach64 so I don't know
>>if it will work for other cards. If you can roll back to xfree86
>>4.2.x and use the GATOS "devel" branch, I know that has always
>>worked for me.
>

> Hrm, So let me see if I can get this straight... from your experience I
> need to do the following:
>
> grab the XFree86 4.2.x source (not the latest 4.3.x)

Yes.

> grab the development branch of Gatos

Let's be clear here 'cuase this is the major stumbling block.

Grab the branch tagged "devel". That's D-E-V-E-L . There would
have been much less confusion if the tag was "tvout" or anything
that didn't suggest a characterization that leads to incorrect
assumptions. I don't know if "devel" was intended to be an
abbrevation of development or not but it doesn't matter. Any
characterization such as experimental, abandoned, development,
latest, hidden, don't help get the needed code. Checking out
the tag with the five letter sequence "devel" will get the
version that includes tvout support.

> (at this point do i need to mess with the retinalburn stuff?)

No. If you had a Mach64 and X 4.3.x you would want to use the
retinalburn instead of the GATOS "devel" branch.

> compile Gatos against the XFree86 4.2.x source

Yes.

> make install on both

Sure. However, I actually compile against source from xfree86.org
then use the X packages for Debian. As long as you compile
against 4.2 include files and run a version of 4.2 you should
be okay.

> ...watch the magic happen? :)

It flickers a couple times, puts up the X lattice pattern then
overwrites that with your window manager background. After
leaving X, the sync is usually messed up for the text mode.
Therefore, you will probably want to get the tool "atitvout"
which can reset the text mode.

Final advice: if this ever mounts up to more than $30 - $40
worth of frustration, get any cheap nVidia card with tvout
and chuck the ATI.

--  bjm