[mythtv-users] MythTV File Formats and playing via the Hauppauge PVR-350

Kevin mythtv-users at simplyc.com
Mon Jun 30 00:05:09 EDT 2003

	Okay, I now have MythTV running (sortof) on my VIA M10000 running Mandrake
9.1 and using a Hauppauge PVR-350 with the ivtv drivers. I am able to
capture something from the PVR-350 via MythTV although it is just noise
right now. The problem I am having now is playing the video back to help in
my diagnostics. When I try to play the recording back through MythTV I get
the message "Couldn't find Xv support". After doing lots of reading here
and at viarena I have a few questions on how MythTV interfaces to the PVR-350.

	1. When MythTV makes the recordings it uses the NUV (modified Nupplevideo)
file type. My understanding was that if I was using a hardware encoder such
as the PVR-350 that it would record directly to MPEG-2 format (eg. I can do
a "cat /dev/video0 >something.mpg). I do have the hardware option selected
everywhere. Does MythTV still convert to the NUV format?

	2. Is there a way that MythTV can play out using the PVR-350 hardware
decoder (including the menus and such) so that I do not have to use the VIA
decoder?

	3. I am guessing the answer to #2 is no so what do I have to do to get Xv
Extensions working on my setup with the VIA hardware decoder and would it
work anyway given #1 above? Please point me to a more appropriate list if
necessary (There is currently lots of discussion on viarena regarding using
the hardware decoder on the VIA but I have a feeling that is not via the Xv
Extensions. I will be posting something there regarding this specific
question though).

	4. It looks as though a number of people on this list are using the
PVR-350. Are any of you running MythTV under Mandrake 9.1 on a VIA M10000
(a stretch I know :-)? If so, did you encounter these problems and find
solutions?

	Any help and/or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.