[mythtv-users] STB Systems Inc.

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Jun 27 22:19:46 EDT 2003

MacNean Tyrrell wrote:
> Don't know if this should be asked here.  Getting together some of my
> old parts together to put a myth box together.  The only thing i need to
> buy is a capture device i think.  First don't know if the Wintv 250 or
> 350 is better.  Which one should i get over the other and why?  Is one
> remote better than the other?

For recording, they are the same. The 350 has decoding features
that are not supported by the ivtv drivers yet and so it doesn't
help for MythTV. YOu should probably save a few bucks and get
the 250.

> Second, i have an old STB Systems Velocity 4400 with TV OUT.  Since STB
> is no longer i can't figure out if XFree supports this with XV
> extensions like the Documentation says it should.  Does this board work
> with XFree and if so does it have XV extensions and is the TV -OUT
> SUpported on it.  I mean it doesn't have to be anything fancy for the TV
> out part right?  Just a composite yellow cable yes?

I haven't heard of anyone using one of these. However, any
cheap nVidia card with TV-out will work so you'd probably
save yourself some headaches by going that route.

> Also, wondering do most sound cards just have a one out so do you have
> to put a spliter on it to go to the Red and white inputs for sound, and
> is it stereo split like this, and will it sound good in surround sound
> or does it sound bad like this?

The one output is a stereo mini phono jack. Go to Radio
Shack or where ever and get a stereo mini phono to two
RCA adapter. There are mono mini phono Y splitters to RCA
that look almost the same (I almost bought one by accident
once ;-). I do get Dolby ProLogic surround through an adapter
like this. However, there was a thread a couple days ago
where several people found that they only get mono audio
from older and cheaper TV capture cards.

--  bjm