[mythtv-users] Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound distortion with ALSA

Peter Wallin peter.wallin at MYNTA.SE
Fri Jun 27 02:02:25 EDT 2003

I have most of my mythtv setup fully operational with one big exception. Sometimes when I switch channels the sound will get heavily distorted and I here this high pitch whine and everyone speaks with robotic voices. Usually this also happens if I leave a channel on for a minute or so. At times the sound distortion goes away after a couple of seconds, other times I have to change channels a couple of times for it to go away. This also happens when recording and is not just a Live-TV issue.

Sound playback is working just fine. I even got digital-out working after fiddling with alsamixer for a while.

I seem to recall reading that someone else was having the exact same problem, but I haven't come across a solution yet. Has anyone gotten a santa cruz working with mythtv?

Perhaps the problem is not with the sound but with the capture card since sometimes when this happens I also get some stuttering in the video. But no matter what resolution, quality settings or encoding file format I use, the distortion problem persists.

Also, don't know if this is expected behavior, but everytime I switch channels I hear a snap crackle sound and get a rebuffering message from mythfrontend. Mythbackend reports nothing unusual.

My specs are:

P4 2 ghz
512 meg SDRAM
Hard drive with DMA enabled, ext3 formatted
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz with latest ALSA (using the cs46xx driver)
Red Hat 9
KDE
bttv with Pinnacle PCTV Pro (I use gbuffers = 16, tried both with more and less buffers to no avail)
Pinnacle remote with Lirc

Anyone got any ideas?

// Peter