[mythtv-users] GUI scaling parameters

Jeff Monks mythtv at skunkeye.com
Wed Jun 25 03:55:45 EDT 2003

I've got a couple questions about the GUIHeight, GUIWidth, and
GUIOffset[X,Y] parameters.  On my system, once I've tweaked the video card
to produce an image that's nicely overscanned and centered on my TV the
Myth GUIs are all a little too large.  Stuff is getting chopped at the
edges.  Not a deal-breaker, but annoying.  In this mode, video plays
perfectly, no edges visible.

So I tried tweaking the GUI size parameters, and managed to find a set of
dimensions in which the GUI menus are all perfectly scaled & centered on
my TV.  Sweet!  Then I play a recording, and it's pushed off-center with a
blue bar on the left side.  Argh.

If I play the same recording with mplayer, or set the GUI scaling stuff
back to all zeros, the video is centered fine (but of course the GUI is
once again overscanning past the TV edge).

My question is, is this how GUI scaling is supposed to work, and I'm just
interpreting its function wrong?  Since it's all got "GUI" in the setting
names, I assumed that meant those settings would only apply to the
interface theme, and not the video playback.  Am I barking up the wrong
tree by messing with these settings?

Also, while messing with this, I've noticed some erratic behavior
regarding changing these specific settings.  Sometimes I'll go into the
Settings dialog and changes I make to GUIHeight, et al, won't take effect.
They remain unchanged in the database.  I can change them manually in
MySQL, and then restarting the frontend, it will see the changes and
accept them.  Could there be something wrong with my DB that's causing
this?

(Technical details:  using CVS checked out 6/24 around 8 PM CDT, Intel
i810-based video with Chrontel 7007A TV-out chip, PVR-250 capture card).

Aside from this little quibble, Myth is working fabulously for me.
Seriously cool stuff, guys!