[mythtv-users] Re:DRAFT of proposed new FAQ (or HowTo section)

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Tue Jun 24 19:05:17 EDT 2003

Thanks for the feedback so far. Perhaps I can take a minute to clarify what
am I doing, inorder to get more focused feedback.

Dennis -- Sorry, but I am not compiling a list. I am just trying to draft
an answer to a single FAQ, not revise the entire list of FAQs. In fact, I
do not even know how to submit a proposed FAQ; I'm just another guy on the
list. I think most of your Q&As are good suggestions, though the answers
are a bit terse for my taste, so I hope whoever does maintain the FAQ list
picks up your suggestions (and expands on the answers).

Albert -- This proposed FAQ (or HowTo section) is about getting a TV signal
in, not about getting video out to a TV. I sent Robert some suggested
updates to the TV-out section of the HowTo a couple of weeks ago, and I'd
assumed he had incorporated tham (but I never actually checked).  You might
want to have a look and, if you see any shortcomings, suggest improvements
directly to RObert. Similarly, a FAQ, about or a better HowTo discussion
of, sound cards is probably a good idea ... but it is not *this* FAQ.

Mark, Michael -- Thanks; this is the kind of feedback I need to get the
draft into a state where it is reasonably accurate, close enough to
authoritative that I will feel comfortable submitting it to Robert or
whomever.

Everyone else -- Please see if I discuss the cap card you are using. If
yes, and there are any important error or omissions, please reply with
corrections or additions. If no, please reply with info about your card.

Robert, somebody -- WHen I get this in shape, would it go better as a FAQ
or as part of the HowTo? If the first, how do I submit it? (I already know
how to send HowTo suggestions to Robert.)

When I was searching the list archives to find the info for the draft, I
was struck by how difficult it is to search for info on a particular cap
card. I probably missed relevant info. That's why I think newcomers would
really benefit from having this partocular set of info all in one place. If
it works, I may try others, but for now, I'd just like to get this one
right, not bite off more than I can chew.