[mythtv-users] DRAFT of proposed new FAQ (or HowTo section)

Dennis Lou dlou99 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 18:42:09 EDT 2003

If you're compiling the list, I've got a few items
to suggest.

It seems that the docs get ignored by people
still in the consideration phase, probably
because they think that the HOWTO primarily consists
of installation instructions (i.e. targetted towards
those who have already green-lighted the project).
Therefore, a pre-installation FAQ might be good.

With that in mind:

Q. Can I run MythTV on my Tivo?

A. Nope.  No X11R6 for Tivo.

Q. Can I use the TV-out on the PVR-350?

A. Nope.  Go ask why not over at http://ivtv.sf.net

Q. Why doesn't anyone sell pre-made MythTV boxes?

A. Been considered.  No business model.

Q. Can I view .NUV files in Windows?

A. If using PVR-250/350, yes; rename .NUV to .MPG
Otherwise, no.  Not yet, anyway.

Q. What's the easiest way to install MythTV?  What's
the best Linux distro to use?  What's the best
hardware to use?

A. Visit http://pvrhw.goldfish.org click on
"Install Guides" and "View Database" and see
who experienced the least pain.

Q. Do I really need LIRC to use an IR remote?

A. No.  Get an IR wireless keyboard and train a
universal learning remote on that.

Q. Why doesn't MythTV play DVD/VCD discs?

A. It will if you edit the .XML menus (even a non-
programmer can do it)

-Dennis