[mythtv-users] Why is it so hard to make Alsa & RH9 work???

mythtv at keatlim.com mythtv at keatlim.com
Sun Jun 22 11:22:49 EDT 2003

I have spent countless hours trying to get this to work. I was happily
following the How-To with a Biostar M7VIW and Athlon 900mhz cpu. Followed
everything to get MythTV installed... first RedHat 9... then following the
HOWTO which went quite smoothly... then I hit the lirc and the damn
stupid-god-knows-why-this-must-happen-in-the-first-place kernel
recompile. Of course I was impatient and skipped that part and went on
with the rest of MythTV. Everything was peachy... playing with MythTV for
the first time.... then I decided that I should go back now and do the
damn recompile of the kernel....

BAM! Alsa that worked before now doesn't... fine.. Linux is dumb by
nature... I'll compile it again.... then I hit this 'Unresolved symbols in
snd.o' while trying to modprobe snd-via82xx and so I start digging. Only
thing I've found so far is someone posting about touching
include/linux/workqueue.h which doesn't work because I'm using Alsa 0.9.4
and it already has that file there (which removes itself during the
./configure --...  phase)

Anyone get this working yet?

Oh I'm also getting this loud 'chirp' everytime I change the channel in
MythTV (before the recompile that is)... isn't there supposed to be a mute
before the channel changes to avoid that loud chirp? I'm using a Hauppauge
WinTV with the bttv/btaudio module.

Other than that MythTV looks pretty impressive so far...