[mythtv-users] Set "treshhold" for commercial flagging?

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Fri Jun 20 14:34:36 EDT 2003

> Would it be possible to set some kind of treshhold for mythcommflag that
> would make it more inclined to flag something as a commercial, or the

It's on my TODO list to add some functionality similar to this.

> commercial while with others it doesn't. But when looking at the moment
> the commercials started there was a very obvious blank frame which could
> have been detected. Probably it just decided that it was a normal scene
> change.

It's not just the fact that a blank frame occurred, it's the spacing of
blank frames.  If two blank frames are 28 seconds apart they are probably
not a commercial, but if they're 29.95 seconds apart then it probably is.

Maybe the lengths need to be tweaked a little, right now I'm being pretty
stringent on the lengths, but could try increasing the range that a
commercial can fall into.   This could be a tuneable setting.  I'm going
from memory here so the numbers aren't exact, but I think it gives about
a 10-frame leeway for a 30 second commercial's start/end, and gradually
increases for longer lengths (ie, 60 may be a 15 frame leeway).  Tuning
this could allow more accurate detection, but can also lead to false
positives.  Since I have the scene change stuff now, that could be used
to help eliminate false positives when used in conjunction with blank
frame detection.

Chris