[mythtv-users] Guide Disappeared

Drew Whittle drew at lug.net.nz
Sat Jun 21 01:09:32 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 20:15, rwk at americom.com wrote:

> > >Advice:
> > >
> > >Don't run CVS versions unless you know what your doing and are capable
> > >of figuring out what is wrong.
>
> I didn't say I don't know what I am doing.  Where did you get that idea D?

It is a standard answer for any project I have ever been involved in.
I'm sure the Myth developers (of which I am not one) do not want to get
a bazillion questions like this because people are not able to debug the
problem.

CVS is a development version and hence the people using it should be
using it because they are either developing or bug hunting, and if bug
hunting detailed information on any apparent bug should be provided (and
probably on the dev list not this one)

> I really don't appreciate people with their nose stuck in the air.  I am
> likely more capable with Linux than average, but we can't all be experts
> on the workings of every program, and I have never understood that this

My nose is not stuck in the air, I'm far from being an expert on Myth,
I'm just trying to save the devs from wasting their time.

> Particularly when there is little (if any) documentation regarding the
> design or database structure...  I am just asking where I might start
> looking.

Yes it is lacking and every time I have wanted to add something I've
wished for that sort of info, but like most OSS (and some commercial)
efforts there is not a lot of attraction in doing that sort of stuff and
so it often ends up being poor or non existent. (I'd gladly try and put
something together, but that would mean pestering the devs and I don't
want to do that.)

> Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.

turn on debugging, look for errors, failing that add some of your own
debugging output and follow it through. (you might also want to check
that you did all the DB updates)

> BTW, I am also now receiving a screen-fill of "open: No such file or
> directory" messages as well, but it does not prevent LiveTV from
> working.

>From the frontend or the backend? any idea what file (or device) it's
trying to find? Does sound still work? etc etc etc

:D