[mythtv-users] crisis averted (was Re: system profiling / cpu usage revisited)

Brian Lalor blalor at bravo5.org
Fri Jun 20 00:08:32 EDT 2003

Brian Lalor wrote:

> Collecting data is easy.  Analyzing it is hard. :-)

... but why go to all that trouble when a little voodoo will work just
as well? *sigh*

I don't know *what* did the trick, but I'm now recording at 640x480
using MPEG-4 with the 2200 kbps bitrate and my CPU's ticking along at
about 50%.  I'm now running mythbackend as root, but I think what did it
was recompiling.  I moved my mythtv build dir out of the way and rebuilt
all of the Myth binaries and libraries by just doing ./configure &&make
&& make install.  I didn't mess with CPU/arch flags this time, I just
let it go.

I hate that I didn't find the monkeywrench in the works, but I guess
I'll just be happy that I'm not sucking up all of my disk space with TV now.

Thanks, all, for your help and ideas.  If this monster rears his ugly
head again, I'll be sure to let y'all know. ;-)

--
    __   ____
   / /  / __/ Brian Lalor
  / _ \/__ \  blalor at bravo5.org