[mythtv-users] system profiling / cpu usage revisited

Brian Lalor blalor at bravo5.org
Thu Jun 19 22:46:43 EDT 2003

Gregorio Gervasio Jr. wrote:

>         Maybe it is important -- are you sure you haven't enabled the
> HQ and 4MV options?  Last time I checked, the first one bumped up CPU
> usage on my Athlon 2500XP+ from 15-20% to 40-50%.  The second one
> pretty much maxes out the system.  This is with LiveTV MPEG-4
> @480x480.  Also, other people have reported strange results when using
> non-standard values for min/max quality.

I'm using the standard settings.  Pertinent settings from the
codecparams table for the Default profile:
(1,'width','480');
(1,'height','480');
(1,'mpeg4bitrate','2200');
(1,'mpeg4maxquality','2');
(1,'mpeg4minquality','15');
(1,'mpeg4qualdiff','3');
(1,'mpeg4scalebitrate','1');
(1,'mpeg4optionvhq','0');
(1,'mpeg4option4mv','0');
(1,'samplerate','32000');
(1,'mp3quality','7');

>         Are you sure you didn't accidentally compile for debug?  Did
> you do anything different when you ran "./configure"?  That's actually
> the critical one since it sets up the libavcodec build.  From what
> I've seen, there's not much to be gained by using "-march=athlon"
> anyway so you could just stick with the default compiler options.

The only things I changed were settings.pro to force -march=athlon-xp
and the --cpu=athlon-xp option to configure.

--
    __   ____
   / /  / __/ Brian Lalor
  / _ \/__ \  blalor at bravo5.org