[mythtv-users] How small can I get my captures?

Aran Cox spin at avalon.net
Thu Jun 19 13:53:58 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-14 at 12:04, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> At 11:42 AM 6/14/2003 -0500, John P DeVale wrote:
> [...]
> The second part is that I got digital cable for one location. This does not
> help with the standard channels -- they still come in at analog quality
> (way to go, Comcast!) -- but both visually and in capture, the superiority
> of digital is apparent. Fortunately for me, Comcast is, at the moment,
> running an extraordinarily good deal on digital ($6/month for first
> location, $3/month for each additional location, for about 30 digital
> channels, of which maybe 8-10 are of interest), which makes it at least
> marginally affordable for me.

That's totally different from my experience.  The digital channels here
(Mediacom) look hideous.  All the pay channels on are digital only so
consequently, all the movies on HBO look like over-compressed divx
files.  I'm utterly thankful most of the channels are analog and that
even when using the digital box (which I rarely do) that those channels
which are analog are simply passed through the box.  I can't imagine how
digital channels could look any better than their analog versions no
matter what the provider says in their adds..